Saturday, July 2, 2011

Pet Peeve #1

Okay, so I'm sitting here watching "Platinum Hit" on Bravo and one of my biggest pet peeves was literally vocalized.

One of the songwriters was talking about how he fell in love with this girl when he was 16 and they were together for three years. And then she dumped him. Here is how he phrased it: "And then she literally ripped my heart out of my chest, stomped on it, and then drove away."

...

For real, does he not know what "literally" means? If she had literally ripped his heart out he would be dead and she would probably be in jail for murder. The word I think he was looking for was "figuratively". But maybe I'm wrong. Maybe she really did pull his heart out, step all over it, and now he has some bionic heart or whatever.

And what makes this even worse, he's a songwriter. A WRITER! Come on. I'm a bit stunned. 

No comments:

Post a Comment