Thursday, January 3, 2013

A New Year

Well, I think husband and I are cursed for New Years Eves. Our first one as a married couple he had to work at 4 am the next day so we went to bed at like, 10. And then this year I was sick with a cold. BUT, we have many more to look forward to and it gave me time to think.

I was going to discuss my New Year's Resolutions... but now I'm not. You may ask, why? Well, come back tuesday and you'll find out :-) I wanted to do goals rather than resolutions. I think they're pretty much the same thing, but the word "goal" just seems less daunting.

I do want to talk about why I'm really excited about this year. Kind of like what I expect out of 2013.

Before I go into what I'm looking forward to this year, I think you might need some background. I have been in school, like my whole life. The summer I graduated from college - about a month and a half later I began my graduate program. Then I think I've only taken one real semester off while in the program. So, think about it: That's grad school pretty much year round. I love my program, but here's one of the things I'm looking forward to....

Not being in school. This idea just blows my mind. 

Other things... I'll have a completed manuscript done that I can start sending out to literary agencies. Woah. Like, this isn't just a "some day dream" anymore. It's like, ahh - yeah, mid-May. Again. Mind blown.

Also, no required reading. So that's new. Um, time that would be spent on thesis and school can now be devoted to other things. Like cooking and running. Hanging out with husband more and doing lots of fun things. And writing other things that aren't my thesis.

I say all of this, but I know, come September... I'll start to get antsy again. I'll begin thinking of research papers to write. I'll look into teaching programs or other degrees and everyone will call me crazy, but I can't go that long without school. I love to learn (yes, nerd and proud of it! What's wrong with that? Nothing.) and I love to hone my skills. I love to improve my mind. I think it's a genetic thing. My grandfather was a doctor and studied psychology and like, *fingerwiggle* other medical stuff. General doctor stuff *ends fingerwiggle* and he kept attending classes until he was like 75. Sure, he could pay for it (and that's my biggest restraint but I"ll just work harder). 

But no, getting off that tangent - I'm just really excited to be that person I've been working so long to be. I will have a Master's degree. I'll be a Master of something. How kick-ass is that? Very. 

So, I'm super excited about where I'll be at the end of 2013. What about you? Any big finish lines for you this year? Any goals?  

No comments:

Post a Comment