Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Children and Thesis Writing

Ah. 

Children.

I don't have any, but that doesn't stop people from asking me (whenever I feel tired) "Oh, do you think your pregnant?" I suppose that question is fair game now that I'm married. 

However the answer is always, "No."

But that doesn't mean I don't have a child... of sorts. 

I have a thesis. 

I've seen posts and things where people compare writing a novel to a bad relationship. I'm sure I've even done it myself.

But right now, I think my thesis writing (which IS writing a novel) is a bit more like having a baby. Disclaimer: I've never had a baby therefore my comparison is biased/uninformed. But here we go anyway.

How my thesis is like a baby...
  • It keeps me up at night
  • I have to check on it every few hours to make sure it's okay
  • I don't like leaving the house without it. What if it needs me while I'm gone?
  • It needs to be looked after, and worked on, ALL THE TIME
  • I can't really think of anything else
  • Mostly, it's the only thing people ask me about anymore
  • I love it
  • And kind-a wish I could give it to a baby(thesis)sitter for just a few hours so I could relax and just not worry about it
  • It keeps me from my housework 
  • I tend to forget why I walked into a certain room because I'm too busy pondering what the thesis may need next
  • I've put so much of myself into it
  • Once you start it your life will NEVER be the same
  • You really don't just have any "me time" anymore
  • It needs to be nurtured to grow
  • Really, it's the most ADORABLE thesis you've ever seen
  • It has a personality all of its own
  • Sometimes it does what it wants and just gets itself into trouble
  • Lastly, it consumes so much of my time/life/mind that I might be a little crazy, but I wouldn't have it any other way.
Thesis writing has been WHY I've been so MIA for the past...forever. And will be, until this spring. I hope. That is my goal. 

So, until then expect sporadic and random updates. Many of which may focus around my thesis, because really, it's my life now.

2 comments: