Tuesday, May 22, 2012

When You Need A Bit More Harry Potter In Your Life...

Well, as if I didn't have enough Harry Potter in my life, they finally launched the long awaited Pottermore.



If you don't know what Pottermore is (and if you're any kind of HP fan you should know) here's the video of Rowling announcing the webpage...




I remember watching this video when it was first released and not only squeaking but also jumping up and down. I was sooooo excited and was bummed it took so long for it to get out of beta testing. 


And honestly, I was not disappointed.


As of right now, you can only explore the first book, with the other books on the way. 


So, what do you do? Well you sign up and are given a user name (want to friend me? I'm NightWizard1517) and then you're free to explore the book. What's awesome, if you want to, you can read the book in conjunction with the webpage. Or not. The webpage is interactive and pretty fun. For me, it was a bit boring until I got to the Diagon Alley chapter. Once there you're given an account at Gringotts and not only get to go shopping, but you also are matched with a wand. 


Later, you get sorted and also learn how to brew potions and cast spells. The better you do on potions and spells the more points you earn for your house. 


But none of that is even my favorite part. What I liked the best is all of the insight that you get to unlock. Rowling has added information about various characters (giving full backgrounds, birthdays, and favorite hobbies) but also talks about her writing process. 


In short, AMAZING.


I have spent so much time playing on the webpage and just exploring, and believe me I still haven't found everything. 


There were a few things that I didn't like:

Reading the Books: As you go along you get to collect various text books and whatnot and store them in your trunk. That part is fun. However, I wish you could read excerpts from the various books. And you might be able to and I just don't know how to do it. 

Sorting: The sorting is super fun. However, what I think would've been fun was to see how you ranked in each house. I got sorted into Slytherin (which I was so not expecting) but I'd liked to have seen if I was hardcore Slytherin or slightly more Slytherin than another house.

AND... if all of this wasn't enough, check out the Pottermore Insider. I haven't explored it too much but I foresee me spending many hours reading through it. So, take my advice and go play.

No comments:

Post a Comment