Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Step 1: How to Become A Better Writer


Practice Makes Perfect:
Building and flexing those writing muscles

So here we go. The first of 25 posts that revolve on ways to make you a better writer. 
What's the one thing, the one piece of advice that every writer is told again and again? To keep writing. Write  everyday.  
Here's what Chuck says on his 25 list:
"The easiest and most forthright way to become a better writer is, duh, to write. Write, write, write. Write regularly. Get on a schedule, whether it’s 100, 1000, or 10000 words a day. Writing is a muscle, like your biceps, your heart, or your private parts. Don’t use ‘em, you lose ‘em. And then they fall to the ground and rot like oxidizing apples and are in turn eaten by hungry gophers. Om nom nom." - Chuck Wendig

Yes! This is something that I fail to do. I never make time for writing. And I should. I mean, yes, I sometimes count working on my blog as writing...but I don't make enough time for creative writing. Further more, when I do make the time sometimes I don't want to work on my WIP. Sometimes I just want to write something new, but I don't have any ideas. 


If this problem plagues you as it plagues me I have found the cure. Writing prompts. Just google writing prompts and you'll get a plethora of links. Here's one that I liked: Creative Writing Prompts from Warren Wilson College.


And below is a prompt from my weekly Writer's Digest e-mail. 

Writing Prompt
You’ve just moved into a new house and are fixing it up. In the process of painting you find an odd crack in the wall. As you explore further, you find out it’s a secret passageway—and you have no idea where it leads. You decide to grab a flashlight and go exploring.


So here's my challenge: by the next post we will all have written a response to ONE of these prompts. If you want to include what you've written in the comments space below feel free! 

No comments:

Post a Comment