Sunday, September 11, 2011

Writer's Block

Dun dun DUN!

If you are a writer, you have had writer's block. And if you haven't...well then most other writers will hate you. Me, even with exercises for my online classes I'm taking this fall, still have writer's block. I just can't get through chapter nine of my novel. I know what needs to happen... I just don't know what needs to happen next.

Ugh.

Or maybe I'm just being lazy.

Anyway, like a good member of my generation I searched the internet for answers.

One web page suggested that I turn to God to help cure my writer's block. While interesting, I wanted something more proactive.

Here are the suggestions that I like:

  • Explore new subjects. There's a good chance that you've written all you can (at this stage in your life) about one subject, so pick one closely related to it, research it, and see what happens.
  • Switch mediums. If you usually work on the computer, try pen and paper. Or vice versa.
  • Rewrite a story. No, not what you're thinking. Take a story (or chapter of a novel or just a scene) and rewrite it from another POV (for all of you non-Englishly people this means Point Of View) try writing it from another character's perspective. You don't have to come up with a new plot. You have that part already. Just mix it up a bit.
  • Relocate. I think that one is pretty straight-forward...
  • Find a writing buddy. Bounce ideas off of each other. Sometimes just talking to someone who understand the whole "writing thing" helps more than you know...
  • Work on something else. Take a break from your major project and just write about something else. It doesn't have to be a full story. Do a writing exercise. <--- granted this hasn't helped me too much yet
  • Write for five minutes. Just that. Just do five minutes and then stop if you have to. Something is better than nothing.
  • Let yourself write horribly. Shitty writing is better than no writing. Just get something on the page and then rework it later. 
So there you go. Maybe next time I'll post something that I have actually written!
That would be nice...

(Links I found my suggestions on: 36 ways to cure writer's block and 20 Surefire ways to beat writer's block)

No comments:

Post a Comment